Notice of Proposed Changes in the Regulations of the Department of Public Safety
The Department of Public Safety proposes to change regulations related to arming Village Public Safety Officers.
The Department of Public Safety proposes to adopt regulation changes in Title 13 of the Alaska Administrative Code, dealing with Village Public Safety Officers, including the following:
(1) 13 AAC 96.040(b) is proposed to be changed as follows:
Paragraph (6) is changed to require written notice to the department when a village public safety officer points a firearm in the direction of any person while on duty, and to delete the written notice requirement in instances when a village public safety officer carries a handgun while on duty;
Wording under paragraph (7) that prohibits grant funds from being used for the purchase or lease of firearms equipment is deleted;
Paragraph (8) is amended to allow a village public safety officer to carry a firearm in the performance of the officer’s duties; and
A new paragraph (9) is added to require notification to the department of the name of each village public safety officer that is authorized to carry a firearm in the performance of the officer’s duties.
(2) A new section, 13 AAC 96.105, is proposed to be added. The intent of the new section is to specify the additional training requirements for village public safety officers who will carry a firearm in the performance of their duties.
You may comment on the proposed regulation changes, including the potential costs to private persons of complying with the proposed changes, by submitting written comments to Mr. Jordan Rubio at 5700 East Tudor Road, Anchorage, AK 99507. Comments may also be submitted by facsimile at (907) 375-6416 or through the Alaska Online Public Notice System, by accessing this notice on the system and using the "comment" link. The comments must be received no later than 4:30 p.m. on January 17, 2014.
If you are a person with a disability who needs a special accommodation in order to participate in this process, please contact Mr. Jordan Rubio at (907) 334-2243 or firstname.lastname@example.org no later than January 3, 2014, to ensure that any necessary accommodations can be provided.
For a copy of the proposed regulation changes, contact Mr. Jordan Rubio at (907) 334-2243 or go to http://dps.alaska.gov/Comm/regulations.aspx.
After the public comment period ends, the Department of Public Safety will either adopt the proposed regulation changes or other provisions dealing with the same subject, without further notice, or decide to take no action. The language of the final regulations may be different from that of the proposed regulations. You should comment during the time allowed if your interests could be affected. Written comments received are public records and are subject to public inspection.
Statutory Authority: AS 18.65.670
Statutes Being Implemented, Interpreted, or Made Specific: AS 18.65.670
Fiscal Information: It is estimated that the proposed regulation changes will require increased appropriations as follows: FY 2015, $62.6; FY 2016, $0.0; FY 2017, $0.0; FY 2018, $0.0.
Keith L. Mallard, Acting Commissioner
DATE: November 18. 2013
ADDITIONAL REGULATIONS NOTICE INFORMATION
1. Adopting agency: Department of Public Safety
2. General subject of regulation: Arming of Village Public Safety Officers
3. Citation of regulation (may be grouped): 13 AAC 96
4. Department of Law file number, if any: JU2013200783
5. Reason for the proposed action: development of program standards
6. Appropriation/Allocation: Village Public Safety Officer Program/Village Public Safety Officer Prog.
7. Cost of implementation to the state agency and available funding (in thousands of dollars):
Initial Year Subsequent
FY 2015 Years
Operating Cost $62.6 $
Capital Cost $ $
1002 Federal receipts $ $
1003 General fund match $ $
1004 General fund $62.6 $
1005 General fund/program $ $
1037 General fund/
mental health $ $
Other $ $
8. The name of the contact person for the regulations:
Name Jordan Rubio
Title Administrative Assistant I
Address 5700 East Tudor Road Telephone (907) 334-2243
Anchorage, AK 99507 E-mail address email@example.com
9. The origin of the proposed action: staff of state agency
10. Date: November 18, 2013
Prepared by: Keith L. Mallard
Title: Acting Commissioner
Telephone: (907) 269-5086