

Southern Norton Sound AC
12/10/13
Koyuk Community Hall

I. Call to Order: Time 11:20 am by Art Ivanoff

II. Roll Call:

Members Present: Art Ivanoff-Chair, Milton Cheemuk, Henry Oyoumick, Merlin Henry, Michael Sookiayak, Wade Ryan-Vice Chair, Allen Atchak

Members Absent: Peter Martin, Nicole Bruckner

Number Needed for Quorum on AC:6

List of User Groups Present:

10th Grade Class from the school, Subsistence Users, Brown Bear Guide and Outfitter Service

III. Approval of Agenda: Agenda Approved

IV. Approval of Previous Meeting Minutes: 4/2/13
Minutes Approved

V. Fish and Game Staff Present: Letty Hughes, Jim Menard, Carmen Daggett, Peter Bente, Brendan Scanlon, Nicole Braem, Scott Kent

VI. Guests Present:

Morris Nassuk

Jason Essler

Lane Douglas

Wayne Nassuk

Jacob Hannon

John Kavairlook Sr.

Michael Sookiayak Sr.

Art Ivanoff

Merlin Henry

10th grade class at the Koyuk School

Ella Henry

Jesse

VII. New Business:

Public Comments and Concerns:

Jason: Reality of Subsistence and non-subsistence areas up for removal from subsistence status. Is there a way that a proposal could be submitted to take the power away from the Joint Board to designate areas as non-subsistence areas? Would it be possible to have a proposal that would restrict the Joint Board's ability to determine a subsistence area kind of like a CDQ, where it would be based on the size of the community?

Art Ivanoff: Peter are you on the phone?

Peter Bente: Explains the authority of the Joint Board and that authority is defined through legislature. So you will have to change legislature if you want to change that authority.

Jesse: So if people want to establish new advisory committees that was under the Joint Boards authority? Inquires about a potential proposal to have communities under 750 people to not allow the Joint Board to repeal the subsistence status of the area.

Peter Bente: Administrative code gives the board authority.

Morris Nassuk: Inquires about subsistence and non-subsistence areas and honoring the no fly zone?

Peter Bente: The caribou herd working group meeting had a discussion about the controlled use area and that is a different authority and the controlled used areas. The Board of Game deals with Board of Game.

Morris Nassuk: I see a conflict there.

Peter Bente: The controlled use area in Anaktuvuk Pass was developed because of user conflicts and not from subsistence issues.

Morris Nassuk: Explains the definition of subsistence at the state level versus the village level.

Scott Kent: The board has the authority to develop subsistence areas and non-subsistence use areas. There would have to be a positive C&T finding in order to determine a place to subsistence use area. And there would have to be a reverse C&T finding in order to designate an area as a non-subsistence area and that have never been done.

Carmen Daggett: Explains that C&T means subsistence. There was a lot of discussion at the Joint Board meeting about both Bethel and Kodiak and board listened to the public's comments and testimony. Heard those comments and then turned down the proposal at the Joint Board meeting. You can listen a recording of the meeting on the State of Alaska website.

Henry Oyoumick: Is glad to see students here. We would like to encourage and embrace young people to participate in this process. I feel like I am still learning the role of the advisory committee. The best I can come up with is that we are the conduit for the villages to get information to the boards. This is an advisory committee and we want to express the resources that we want to see.

Milton Cheemuk: Agrees with Henry Oyoumick, I am glad to see students are going to areas where there livelihood is affected.

VIII. Department Reports

- a. Letty Hughes BOG report-In Unit 22A there was a quota of 22 moose and 21 were harvested. 3 of them were on federal land and 18 were harvested on the state permit. The emergency order request was extended to September 20th that was put in by the Southern Norton Sound. 138 state permits were issues for the state permit from residents of Unalakleet. 22B West of the Darby Mountain, we have a scheduled a winter moose hunt. If any of you want to hunt in Golovin and White Mountain you have to go to Golovin and White Mountain to get a permit for a winter hunt that starts January 1st. Same with 22D we still need to issue an emergency order to open a hunt for one antlered bull that starts January 1st.
- b. Musk Ox: We do have the TX105 hunt in this area. This hunt has been open since August and it hasn't been taken. I was here a while ago in Koyuk helping people fill out the Tier II hunts. You can fill it out online till the 16th. If you have any questions about

that hunt give me call, that hunt is for next August. Overall between Golovin, Council, White Mountain Elim and Koyuk there are 8 and for west of the Darby mountains there are 7.

Art Ivanoff: I know we had talked about having a musk ox hunt out of Unalakleet, I know we are looking for 2-3 musk ox that would be available.

Letty Hughes: I know Wade Ryan was talking about submitting a proposal for that, but I haven't see anything on that. We are going to the distance sampling this spring and we will go back to the drawing board for musk ox hunts.

Henry Oyoumick inquires about Tier II hunt-Letty Hughes explains C&T findings, musk ox and how that relates to Tier II hunts.

Morris Nassuk: Inquires about proxy hunting and Tier II applications.

Letty Hughes: Explains the lack of proxy for musk ox.

Peter Bente: There is a regulation in statue that says that proxy hunting is established for moose, caribou and deer. No other species are identified for proxy hunting, until that regulation is changed.

Merlin Henry: If I were to get a musk ox, I don't know the difference between a male and female. How do I know the difference between males and females.

Letty Hughes: Explains that there is a musk ox identification book that helps discern the differences between males and females. If you were to accidentally shoot a female musk ox you should let us know right away and we will pass it on. It is a lot easier to deal with it. I don't know if the musk ox book has been distributed out in this area. Explains the differences in the musk ox boss horn in mature males or females and distinguishing them. If you want to take a younger animal for the meat is when you really need to study the group. I can send a copy of the book and a few to Koyuk for people.

Peter Bente: The permanent hunting license the age of 60 to qualify.

Letty Hughes: Brown bear harvests overall last year we took 100 bears in Unit 22 for all reported bears.

Jacob Hannon: Wants to present amendment to proposal 16.

Henry Oyoumick: Offers having the city or the IRA to have musk ox hunts discussed. It is necessary to ask people to apply for the permit. If we could extend the advisory committee member's role to notify people about the musk ox hunt.

Letty Hughes: I send out flyers and go to the IRA. I am open to suggestions for having the AC take a more active role as well as more ways to advertise the Tier II hunts.

Art Ivanoff: I think we can have a meeting with the Native Village of Unalakleet to present information about Tier II permits.

Carmen Daggett: Gives an overview of the Joint Board findings pertinent to the region.

Art Ivanoff: It is important that we stay engaged in the process because the issues that happened with Bethel could be coming our way soon. On the training session I think we need to have more resources to get more engaged in the process. We met with 20-25 ACs to discuss AC process and funding to allow the direct discussion with legislature. It is insulting to have ACs to do fundraisers to attend meetings. There needs to be more funding to attend AC meetings, more training opportunity. Conference call does not have the same impact as a face to face meeting.

Carmen Daggett: There is training on Alaska Administrative Code is coming to the training session for the Arctic Board of Game meeting.

Art Ivanoff: I think it is important to have more than one person going to an AC meeting.

Henry Oyoumick: Motion to have Michael Sookiayak an alternate secretary and Nikki Bruckner for the interim. Unanimous consent.

Michael Sookiayak: I agree to be the secretary in the interim.

Carmen Daggett: Explains the minutes and the parts of the discussion about non-proposal related discussion. I think that not all of the information that is included in the meeting minutes is proposal driven. It is still important.

Henry Oyoumick: We need to be stronger in points.

Scott Kent: You want to build a record that is what they are looking for.

Chinook Salmon

Scott Kent: Commercial salmon season we had our third ex-vessel value of 1.183 million not counting inflation.

124 permit holders in Norton Sound in the salmon fishery. Effort is high. Unalakleet had the third best ex-vessel value for 54 years. There was 36,000 tons of Chum in Koyuk. Shaktoolik was 14th best in 52 years of fishing. The weather was not good. Shaktoolik the winds were too high to go fishing, we are going to rethink how manage Shaktoolik.

Michael Sookiayak: There were several questions and concerns about a lot of dangerous conditions in the Southern Norton Sound.

Scott Kent: I have thought about talking with Wade Ryan and Art Ivanoff for getting beach seining going. The Yukon had test fishery started out with test net with the CDQ. On the Yukon a permit CFEC gill net holder can fish with a purse seiner can fish with a beach seine. It wouldn't allow the big boats to come in and it wouldn't have a cap unless it was emergency order closed. There is about 114,000 is the escapement for the lower stem. There was about 270,000 thousand for the aggregate escapement. With 150,000 escapement from the Unalakleet River. This was a pretty tremendous year for the year as far as chum salmon goes all escapement goals were achieved. Pink Salmon was an odd year, low abundance, all escapement goals were achieved, but people had to work for their humpies this year all

escapements were achieved. Unalakleet was the 20th best year. I think weather was what was to blame for low harvests in Shaktoolik.

Michael Sookiyak: We didn't get to fish very much this last year and the year before. There were a lot of fishermen sitting at home because of bad weather wondering how they are going to make money.

Scott Kent: Norton Bay had a record coho harvest. Shaktoolik hasn't been able to take advantage of the harvestable surpluses. What seems to happen in Shatoolik is that fishermen have a couple of times where the weather keeps them from getting out and it makes them really frustrated and they stop trying. One of the things I am thinking about a super period based upon the weather. Instead of two 48s have one long period of 72 hours instead of the two shorter 48 periods.

Michael Sookiyak: I think that might work for some of the fishermen. Explains the current fishing periods and how they are timed especially because some of the fishermen don't want to work on Sundays.

Scott Kent: One of the reasons we had the schedule set because of the Everetts and NAC cargo flights. That is why we changed the flight scheduled. If people want to go to church on Sundays I can factor that in.

Michael Sookiyak: There are a lot of commercial fishermen who don't want to do anything on Sunday.

Michael Sookiyak: The 72 hour opener sounds good

Merlin Henry: First time I fished last summer, the fish were looking really good. If I catch a king I have no time to go home to get my king salmon home to get them to the freezer. I have to stay with my net to keep it clean. I check my net sometimes you get a dead king in the net so you throw them in the boat. Sometimes the king is alive so you release it back into the water cause I can't sell them. I can't take them back to Koyuk because it costs gas and I can't sell them so they spoil. I am wasting King Salmon. I don't know how many king salmon I had to throw away. I heard about not much king going through Norton Bay, but we were stuck with King salmon that are stuck in chum nets. I want to take it back to camp and cook it, but I can't because it costs gas to get back to Koyuk.

Scott Kent: The personal keep amount didn't exceed 20 fish. Technically the buyer could have bought the king salmon from Norton Bay, just not Shaktoolik and Unalakleet because of a specific regulation.

Merlin Henry: The buyer was asking how many kings and humpies were asking how many humpies and kings I get, but they stopped asking how many kings and humpies that kept asking about incidental harvest.

Merlin Henry: can the tender boat keep the kings and donate the by catch and not wasted.

Scott Kent: Gives an option of giving the fish on ice as a donation in Unalakleet to the elders.

Milton Cheemuk: That was brought up at our NSEDC meeting. The donation of the by catch.

Scott Kent: Explains the possibility of donating the by-catch.

Art Ivanoff: The fish don't congregate at the beach. I like the idea of thinking about fishing outside the box.

Scott Kent: In Norton Bay most of things have been limited by the buyer.

Morris Nassuk: It is not always calm here.

Merlin Henry: There was a tender boat that leaked gas. The nets were contaminated.

Scott Kent: There was variability in reports of how much oil had spilled. The nets were filled with eel grass in this area.

Morris: What sort of heavy restrictions should we expect to see?

I would like to nominate Wade Ryan.

Scott Kent: the Igutalik speciation count was not good. We think we had approximately 600 fish my aerial flight on the Ingallik was 33 fish. It was a low number of Chinook. It was evident in 2012, that the brood was good, but the actual numbers of fish was low. We heard and honored the wishes of the communities. Unalakleet went to two 24 hour periods per week, but they could use king salmon fishing gear. Shaktoolik stayed on two 48 hour periods, but used chum salmon fishing gear. Once the fish got in the river we protected them at all costs. We had to close the fishery early on July 5th.

Brandon Scanlon: We closed on July 11th.

Scott Kent: We had the worst escapement ever we had 767 fish up the main stem of the Unalakleet River. 564 up the North River Tributary. The Shaktoolik was 1100 to 1300 which was a major improvement from the previous two years. We don't know what the sonar numbers. My feeling is that this will be the worst harvest ever. What are we going to do next year. Norton Sound is going to be even with the rest of Western Alaska. The projections are that they are going to start out with whitefish gear to protect fish once they get in the river. In Unalakleet, it might not be that severe. We can probably allow pink salmon gear. We might hold off on beach seining once we get to July. It is going to be severe this year. That has implications for commercial. The last two weeks in June we are going to be letting fish through. The age competition data was much lower this year for age 4 females, it was 15% of what it was in 2009. We don't think there are going be many fish returning. There are going to be a larger number of Jacks in the run. I think mother nature is kicking the crap out of these fish. There is a bottle neck somewhere and we expect it in the ocean.

Milton Cheemuk: Expresses frustration over getting tickets for not wearing life jackets.

Scott Kent: They are cracking down on that.

Michael Sookiayak: I was happy to see law enforcement out doing their thing. Making sure fisherman are properly equipped. I know they are going to fine some people, but it brings out safety alarms. We are seeing more and more card holders that are very young. There should be a dos and don'ts for young fisherman about what to do.

Scott Kent: We can disseminate that information through the fish plant.

Morris Nassuk: Inquires about the number of permits for Norton Bay.

Scott Kent: There are six or seven permit holders.

Henry Oyoumick: Inquires about contamination of salmon out in the ocean from the power plant in Japan.

Scott Kent: I don't know about the impacts on the salmon. Perhaps Gay Sheffield and the University system.

Morris Nassuk: Is there any data on the earliest time of year of migration of king salmon.

Scott Kent: Explains that May 1st is the earliest recorded. You try to get the tower or the weir as early as you can in the year to capture the whole run. The spawning surveys that we fly there is a peak spawning survey in the middle of the period. With King salmon is July 30th-31st.

Art Ivanoff: There are low numbers of return, the commercial fishery has bearing the brunt of the conservation. There are still sport fisherman out there catching fish when we haven't made escapement. NSEDC has not been able to engage because of escapement hasn't been met. There has been a lot of opportunity that has been lost because of not making escapement goals.

Brandon Scanlon: The bag limit is already the most restrictive on kings in the Unalakleet sub district. There are many more fish caught in subsistence nets than caught by sport fishing. Unalakleet kings is what Scott and I spend the most time on kings.

Art Ivanoff: We haven't had a targeted taken since 1998 and it seems like what we are up against. All I am asking is if we don't make escapement is to keep the sport fishing closed. The catch and release by non-residents was very high. There is a mortality rate associated with catch and release. Right now we don't have enough food to play with it. We want to get to the 1200 escapement for future runs and to no restrict subsistence fishing.

Brandon Scanlon: We only had 43 fish taken from guided sport fishing. That is not going to make a dent in escapement.

Art Ivanoff: We don't know how many fishermen have transporters.

Brandon Scanlon: The unguided take of 214 fish is mostly people that live in the Unalakleet region.

Art Ivanoff: Expresses concern over unguided take. Every fish does count. It is billion dollar fishery but there is a handful of people who can't put fish on the table.

Brendan Scanlon: Maybe they can't put kings on the table, there were terrific coho and silver run.

Art Ivanoff: There is no substitute for the King

Morris: I would encourage you to look at the Koyuk river too for spawning ground. I was hunting moose, I saw king salmon spawning on the Koyuk River on the East fork. It would be good to figure out what is there or not there and cover all of the rivers.

Scott Kent: Explains that if they get good numbers on the Igutallik I will take the money that I would take to fly the Igutallik and fly the Koyuk River.

Jim Menard: One thing we are thinking about doing is pulling the nets from the Unalakleet River, we close the king salmon and it would pull the sport fishing out the Unalakleet River.

Art Ivanoff: There was a request submitted to Cora Campbell to emergency order close. Fish and Game should come to Unalakleet to discuss conservation of Chinook salmon.

Scott Kent: We are willing to meet with you and the regional staff. We are not getting the returns back. There is a lot of local knowledge and reports. Chinook salmon have experienced bottlenecks in the population. They are at the Northern extent of the range. They will come back. All that we can do is try to not make things worse. They are environmentally distressed; they are at the northern extent of their range.

Art Ivanoff: We did are not meeting escapements.

Jason: There are other areas like the Kuskokwim that are facing the same problems with Chinook and you should look to them for tribal leadership. They are shutting down their fisheries to allow Chinook to come back. This regulatory and management system there has been a shift in tribal leadership to push conservation of fish in these areas. The Upper Kuskokwim has decided that maybe we need to leave the stock alone.

Morris: If they close their river, it doesn't necessarily mean that we want to close ours.

Merlin Henry: A king salmon was caught in the Koyuk River and it had three pouches of eggs. That is the first time I have ever heard of that.

Nicole Braem: Gave subsistence report. In 2013 we conducted research in Golovin. We did a comprehensive survey, which is an exhaustive lengthy survey. This coming year we are hopefully going to do work in Stebbins, which was before the floods, we had approached Stebbins. We are going to do a subsistence harvest survey in Diomede. In your part of the Peninsula will be in St. Michael and White Mountain. We hire local people to do these surveys, we get better information. We are working on a project looking at salmon and the history of salmon and the change in availability of fish. We are interested in approaching Unalakleet about the salmon project.

Michael Sookiayak: Nominates Art Ivanoff to attend the BOG meeting.

Art Ivanoff: Explains the by catch of Chinook in relationship of the Pollock industry. It has been 10-25,000 fish to restrict the by catch of Chinook salmon. There was a letter from the secretary of commerce for a disaster declaration.

Art Ivanoff: We like to have more than one person to attend the board meeting. We had Wade Ryan to attend the Board meeting. Wade has built a relationship with the board of game. I would like to nominate Wade Ryan to attend the BOG meeting.

Michael Sookiayak: I nominate Art as an alternate.

Michael Sookiayak: I think it is good to have both Art and Wade to attend the AC meeting.

Art Ivanoff: All in favor of having Wade Ryan and Art Ivanoff to attend the BOG meeting

Henry Oyounick: I think it is important to have Wade as the representative. 2:12

BOG or BOF	Proposal Number	Proposal Description	
Supports or Opposes?	Number Support	Number Oppose	Comments/Discussion (list Pros and Cons)/Amendments to Proposal
BOG	13	Change the winter moose season in Unit 22E from January to March.	
Support	7	0	<ul style="list-style-type: none"> • Motion to support proposal 13. • Art Ivanoff: This is not in our area, but it is good to support the Northern Norton Sound AC.
BOG	14	Establish an antlered bull season in Unit 22A Unalakleet River drainage.	
Support	6	0	<ul style="list-style-type: none"> • Department Supports it would allow us to not have to continue to do the fall extension requests that we have done the last three years to meet the unfulfilled harvest quota. The dates December 1st-31st were suggested by the Southern Norton Sound AC. • Henry Oyoumick: Motion to support proposal 14. • It is really important the bulls communicate with their friends to get a higher numbers. I think this could change this over time. I like the idea it gives opportunity for success. Even though we didn't see a lot of people at the regular opening period, a lot of people went out after. • Agreement
BOG	15	Reauthorize the antlerless moose seasons in Unit 22C and the Remainder of Unit 22D.	
Support	6	0	<ul style="list-style-type: none"> • Move to support proposal 15 • I supports the Department's proposal on this. • Peter Bente: This has to be supported by the department and the AC if either group doesn't support it then the board cannot take action. • Wade Ryan: I think we should go with the department on this.
BOG	16	Modify the season and bag limit for brown bear in Unit 22.	
Supports as amended in attached doc	7	0	<ul style="list-style-type: none"> • See attached offered amendment for proposal 16 by Bob Hannon. • Department supports proposal of having a bag limit increase and not the extension of season. • Henry Oyoumick: The 22B would be June 15th extension and include 22B I think 22 would include 22B? He wants extended for May 21st to June 15th. Inquires how the original regulation bag limit. • Letty Hughes: The original bag limit is one bear every four years. There is a drawing permit for non-residents and they need a guide or immediate family member. • Jacob: It would get another 15 days on the season and make it one bear every year in 22B. • There is just a request to extend it another 15 days to the season. • Morris: I would encourage the AC to extend the season because I think our population can support it. • Morris: There was a plane flying around when I was hunting and I spent the last of my gas during the duck hunting season and I didn't get any meat because it scouting for bears. • Merlin Henry: I agree with the extension (amendment). I make a motion

BOG or BOF	Proposal Number	Proposal Description	
Supports or Opposes?	Number Support	Number Oppose	Comments/Discussion (list Pros and Cons)/Amendments to Proposal
			<p>to support the extension of the season.</p> <p>AC Reviewed simple proposal un amended</p> <ul style="list-style-type: none"> Department opposes a spring season extension AND bag limit change. Motion carries 7-0 to support the un-amended version
BOG	17	Extend the brown bear season in Unit 22A.	
Supports	5	0 One abstained	<ul style="list-style-type: none"> Department recommendation is to oppose this proposal. Why is the department opposed to this proposal? Letty Hughes: This is not the first time this has brought before the board, the brown bears gather along the shore in one portion of this region Galsovia-Kilgoteric area, for a high harvest possibility. The moose harvest patterns are different in this region too. Milton Cheemuk: I would support it. Milton Cheemuk: I support the proposal; there are too many brown bears. A lot of bears come into town at the time of the year too. Clarification that you cannot take sows with cubs. Peter Bente- The aggregated bears on the coast, we don't have permits and there is a bag limit for two per person, we don't have a quota. There is a chance for over harvest. Motion carries 5-0, one abstention
BOG	18	Extend the wolf hunting season in Unit 22.	
Supports	6	1	<ul style="list-style-type: none"> Michael Sookiayak: I have been hearing more and wolf stories about wolves coming into the villages and there have been a lot of them coming into the town. The wolf issue is not going to go away. It is going to be going on for a while. Despite how the Board of Game feels about this I would support this proposal. Merlin Henry: I would support this there are a lot of wolves all of the way up the Koyuk River and then Ingallik River. I had reindeer too and to increase the caribou I think proposal 18 is alright. Peter Bente: The proposal would extend the season in to the wolf pupping season, the Department normally avoid harvest if it would leave the pups alone in the den, the position would be to keep the season closing April 30th into the month of May. Art Ivanoff: I am listening to local residents and something is totally different. I would support them. Morris: I am concerned about intruding into the pupping period, I am not against harvesting wolves, but I think you might be intruding a bit by extending the season. No disrespect for the representatives, I don't think we shouldn't be extending to the point getting into the pupping season when we don't have good populations Michael Sookiayak: Motion to support.

BOG or BOF	Proposal Number	Proposal Description	
Supports or Opposes?	Number Support	Number Oppose	Comments/Discussion (list Pros and Cons)/Amendments to Proposal
			<ul style="list-style-type: none"> Art Ivanoff: Explains this can be changed later if there is too much harvest.
BOG	19	Extend the wolverine hunting season in Unit 22.	
Opposed	0	7	<ul style="list-style-type: none"> The department stance is to oppose the proposal. Michael Sookiayak: I would like to oppose this proposal. I move to support proposal 19. Wade Ryan: I am in favor of this, in April it starts to get a little bad, I think you miss the selling of it. I would support the amendment. I would be in favor of this. Merlin Henry: It is no use killing a wolverine in April, they stink, they are mating. September is too early for Wolverine. I think you miss the selling of it, because it happens earlier in the year, but I would still support it.
BOG	38	Reauthorize the current resident tag fee exemptions for brown bear in Units 18, 22, 23 and 26A.	
Support	7	0	<ul style="list-style-type: none"> The department supports this proposal. Wade Ryan: I would support this. Michael Sookiayak: I think we supported this last time. Merlin Henry: If I was an elder in the area I would have to pay a fee? Letty Hughes: If this passes it would Peter Bente: The brown bear tag fee exemptions need to be supported by the department and the ACs then the board can take action; otherwise there is no action that can be taken by the board. Art Ivanoff: Is there a split to hunt bear in our backyard? Letty Hughes: I can get that information for you and break information between residents and non-residents. Michael Sookiayak: Considering the past action I move to support proposal 28. Wade Ryan: I like this it keeps the residents from having to pay the tag fee. Henry Oyoumick: It looks like the residents that are apprehensive to buying a tag that it will allow residents to legally harvest brown bears.

Old Business:

Adjournment: 4:05 pm

Minutes Recorded By: _____ Carmen Daggett _____

Minutes Approved By: _____

Date: _____